It has been a long time since posting so thought I had better write a few words. A lot has been on my mind since Christmas. Mostly about my son, Ben, ten years old. It was as though a lot of things about his behaviour became polarized, there were things that stood out a lot more than they ever had before. For six years I have battled with thoughts about Autism. My sister in law who thinks she knows it all was the first to suggest (behind my back) that Ben was Autistic. At the time I had just had my seventh baby and was trying to deal with the seperation of my parents 40 year marriage. To say that I did not take the information well was putting it mildly. In my heart I kind of knew there was a truth to it but all I wanted to do was wrap my son in a cotton blanket and protect him from the harsh, cruel world.
Whenever I expressed my concerns about our son to my husband he would always reassure me that Ben was just a little different from other kids but nothing was wrong with him. I found comfort in my husbands calm assurance that everything was fine. I always hoped that as Ben got older he would 'grow out' of his 'different' behaviour. I consoled myself that because he was an intelligent child there was no way that he could be labelled Autistic. Just because he couldn't cut with a pair of scissors, had no interest in imaginative play or group fun didn't mean he was Autistic! After all, he would sit down and read the Dictionary from A-Z nearly every day!!
Well, for some reason this weekend everything seemed to come to a head. I decided to actually research  information on Autism and more specifically Aspergers Syndrome. It was like reading the story of my Son's life :-(    Finally, after six long years I openly expressed my concerns and gave it a name........AUTISM. Today I rang the doctor and made an appointment to see him regarding Ben. I hope above hope that I am wrong but something tells me not. I believe that God has given me the strength that I need at this time to deal with everything that comes my way. I certainly feel God's peace right now more than I have in a long time.
Please keep us in your prayers.........