I received a text message from my sister who is holidaying in the United Kingdom. "Hi, having a great time. Yesterday we visited Winchester Cathedral where we learned that Jane Austin is buried as were many ancient British kings......fascinating! Tomorrow we are going to see an old Roman fortress ruin and then in the afternoon we will be visiting a castle". Wow! talk about a walk through History~ and to think my sister was worried about taking her children out of school for six weeks! To me there is no better learning that real life learning, the kind you do when you step into history itself! I am currently reading "Our Island Story" to Master B, 9, and he is fascinated by the story of the Roman invasion of Britain. We made a model Roman Standard this week and it is proudly displayed in the family room (for now!) but how much information can you really get across when you have no idea what a castle looks like apart from the pictures we see in a book? How awesome to be able to walk through a castle and feel the History come alive! I must stop myself from becoming green with envy over my sister's holiday!
When I first started Home Schooling we attended a morning art class on a Monday. A lot of the other homeschoolers were unschoolers and I thought they were an interesting lot! Instead of being tied to bookwork all day they spent each Mondays doing art in the morning at the craft hall and venturing into the city in the afternoon to participate in a live science class at scitech, a wonderland venue aimed at making science fun! I think Tuesday was Zoo Day and the rest of the week was much the same kind of thing. I remember thinking how lucky they were but I couldn't pull myself away from my ACE schedule so nothing changed for me! I thought I was doing well by taking one morning off a week to do the art class!
So how can we make learning a real life experience, the kind where you literally walk in the footsteps of the subject rather than experiencing lessons from a book. I am not talking about packing my suitcase and travelling all over the world in persuit of viking, Romans and Greek ruins! I just wonder how we can breath life into our learning?