So how exactly do we learn? Well, for me that question would be easy to answer! at the moment I am very interested in learning about Aromotheraphy. I have a passion for it! (notice that word passion.....it is important!) Because I am so interested in this subject I am like a sponge, soaking up as much information as I can. The first stage of my learning is to gather information. I bought a book from the op shop and it has been a huge help in my search for knowledge. There is also a lot of information on line. The second stage of mylearning is gathering the necessary tools. So when the information has had time to gather I go out and explore! I look for shops that sell 100% aromatheraphy oils, I research online the price difference and whether or not I can obtain something cheaper. I have the knowledge in my head to know what I want to buy first! Clary Sage was the first essential oil that I purchased. It cost about $5 more than the other oils and after speaking to the sales assistant I learned that it depends on the degree of difficulty in obtaining oil from the plants. The third stage of my learning is putting all the knowledge in my head, using the tools that I have gathered and presenting the end result! So as I type there is the beautiful, fresh scent of Clary Sage diffusing throughout the house. Yes, I can smell the freshness and indeed the scent is very calming! Just like the information in the book told me. I know exactly how much Clary Sage cost to produce and the medicinal benefits of it. I am looking forward to mixing some drops with a body oil and using it for massage. I Need to research further to see if I can come up with a formula that is safe to use on Baby Joel, maybe another essential oil would be better. The options are endless! It can be added to the bath water, added to the final rinse in the washing machine. There are many months ahead where I know my brain will be feeding on more information and putting it into practice. Then after that something else will hit me..........it always does! they don't call me Mrs Fad for nothing!
Four weeks ago I knew nothing about Aromatherapy but because of the passion within me I am learning more and more every day.
Learning is fun when we Want to learn something. Learning is fun when we are able to do in real life rather than merely reading a text book and answering some fill in the blank questions.
Another thing that has hit me is that some things I will never be able to learn by just reading! One of those things is sewing! I have read many books on sewing, I even bought a sewing pattern once with good intentions of making a dress for my daughter. Because I had never done anything like it before, I just didn't know what I was doing! The book had given me information but I needed to see it being done by someone who knew what they were talking about! A dear friend offered to come over and help me and within one hour I was off and running! That particular pattern became so well known to me that I produced a dozen dresses, all in different fabrics but I could never have done it without the help of a professional~! Sometimes as a home schooling mum I think that I need to remember that I can't do everything and it is a good thing to introduce my children to experts in a field rather than trying to teach everything myself! That is why I have, over the years, sent my children to art school for homeschooling children, sign language lessons by a blind teacher and other such things.
More ramblings, I know! but my brain is ticking ticking ticking with thoughts on education right now........