I think the word "meditation" to a christian stirs up mental images of new age philosophy. The Bible mentions the word Meditation a number of times so why would this be? I must admit to having pre conceived negative ideas about Meditation myself and it wasn't something that I ever looked in to. When I read Dr Archibald Hart's book, "The Anxiety Cure" he talked about Christian Meditation. I was also given the tape that went along with the book on relaxation methods and meditating. My first experience with Christian Meditation was amazing! I found a peace that I hadn't experienced in a long time. I also discovered an intimate presence with God where I felt totally comfortable.
Studies have shown that meditation has a profound possitive inpact on depression. I read that the chances of recovery from Depression are increased dramatically when medication, cognitive therapy and meditation are used together. I can see why~
Generally I will meditate for about 20 minutes. I start off by opening my bible to Proverbs or maybe Psalms. Sometimes the Lord will direct me to another scripture. I don't read mountains of verse, that is why I like the Psalms or Proverbs! I take in just enough to be able to meditate on comfortably. My favourite scripture is Psalm 23 "The Lord Is My Shepherd". I use muscle tension relaxation therapy to "unwind" and then I sit down in a comfortable chair with my feet in a foot spa!! I close my eyes and begin to meditate (or gaze intently) on the chosen scripture. Once I meditated On Isaiah 41 "Those who wait upon the lord, I will renew their strength" for four weeks solid!! Every day I would seek God for direction, thinking that I had spent enough time on that scripture but "no" I stayed with it for four weeks!!! I was amazed at the spiritual insight that God gave me for that word. At the moment I am using Psalm 23 and I usually start out by saying (to myself) "The Lord Is My Shepherd" and allowing God to give me a mental picture of what that means. Sometimes I will spend the entire 20 minutes just thinking on those few words!! it is so empowering.
I grew up in a big faith church where I was taught that stomping, shouting, raising fist at the devil and claiming his word was the answer to spiritual prayer! I guess there are times when we need to pray like this but to be honest with you I have gained so much more in my silent times of contemplation than I ever did having a one on one with the Devil!! I admit also to becoming vain with my prayer life. I took pleasure in using eloquent words of scripture in such a way as to impress those around me........"shame". Now I am out to impress no man.............I just want to continue with the intimate prayer life that I have found through meditation.