The school year has been going well. The jump into a more delight directed approach has suited our family down to the ground. However, after starting the little children on The Heart Of Dakota kindy program, "Little Hands To Heaven" I was completely taken with the concept of this wonderful program. I started looking on the web site at their program for older children. The more I looked the more I became convinced that I wanted Ben (9) to use this. It isn't that I am unhappy with his learning this year, he has had a great time, but I felt that I needed a slightly more structural approach to his learning. You see, on the days when "I" am not feeling the best Ben tends to suffer. I am not prepared, not organized and therefore little work gets done. Oh yes! I know that learning happens regardless and there have been many instances where I have been delighted to watch my son choosing his free time to read a science book, grab the microscope and check out spores, salt or other interesting finds. But I wanted a little bit more than this, a little bit more structure.

The thing that I love about The Heart Of Dakota is the simplicity of the plan! It works so well with my heart desire to still have a certain amount of freedom! Although they may recommend Rod And Staff for the English component the reader is still free to choose whatever English program they prefer. I am not forced in to doing what I really would rather not do. The same goes for math and science although I am happy to continue using Singapore math and the science is using living books which suits me fine.

The program is set out as a four day a week curriculum. Each day is separated into nine boxes of work covering each subject. You are encouraged to work through one box, then maybe take a break for some play, lunch whatever, and work through the remaining boxes throughout the day. The work is not tedious or long! in fact the role model behind this curriculum is Charlotte Mason so anyone who is aware of her teaching will have an immediate 'aha' moment when I tell you that! The emphasis is not on written work but on oral narration first. The book I bought for Ben covers introduction dictation work using "Dictation Day By Day' Book one by Kate Van Wagenen (1916) The short sentences are ideal and an answer to prayer for me in regards to introducing dictation in small, simple steps. The History component uses the classic "A Child's History Of The World" but also some amazingly beautiful books, most of which I have not heard or seen before (Unusual since I have been homeschooling for 11 years). I will have to take some pictures of the books and add them as some of the artwork within is simply breathtaking. "Grandpa's Box" is one of the History books and It is a beautiful, God glorifying Book! "Draw and Write Through History" is another book that I already owned but am thrilled to have as part of a curriculum.

The independent reading books was the thing that finally drew me to purchase the curriculum. I was having trouble finding books for Ben to read that he was interested in. They either seemed too old or too young. The books in this program include "The 5000 year old puzzle" "Miriam of Galilee" "Leif The Lucky" "Minstrel in the tower" "William Shakespeare and the globe" "Mozart The Wonder Boy" and many many more!

I am really excited about starting this. It is not too much work for 'me' but enough work to satisfy my need for slightly more structure in my son's life.