One of the things that I have found very therapeutic over the past 15 months is art! I have never considered myself an artist but in taking this up I have discovered a very relaxing and enjoyable
hobby. Like reading a good book, painting or drawing can take me to another world! I am oblivious to all around me.............noise included!
I have noticed that as I have been concentrating more on my art the children have been following my lead! Leah, 4, loves nothing more than to sit next to me and paint in her own art book! Even Ben has been drawing a lot more and I have seen great improvement with his work. My favourite artist is Renoir but I love all the Impressionist! I am really enjoying incorporating "Art Appreciation" into our weekly schedule. I usually print a picture from the internet, this term we are using Renoir! and I write down a few questions for the children to answer about the picture. Mike Venezia's little books on individual artist are a great help!
I absolutely adore Barry Stebbing's art books. I haven't found anything better for us than his wonderful collection of books. I have tried others but always end up back with my favourite! We are currently using "Feed My Sheep", Leah is using "Little Annie's art book", Ben is using "The Canada Goose" and I have just ordered "How Great Thou Art".
They are so reasonably priced as well! In Australia they are available from Adnil Press.
I highly recomend them to all potential artist!