Home schooling is amazing. New products come and they generate heaps of discussion! suddenly everyone is changing over to the "new product". Well, I have been out of the home school loop for a while now because I knew that my restlessness with curriculum was due in part to reading about what other people used and then feeling dissatisfied with my choice! I was drawn back into the loop because for nearly six weeks my eldest children have not done Math! They finished their book in MUS and I haven't had the finances to upgrade. With two children using the same book it will cost me $190...........that is a lot of money in anyone's language! So I have spent the past few days browsing math curricula and trying to come up with a solution. I have decided to try Singapore Math with Ben, it has great reviews and to be honest with you, the price is great! Much better for my budget. High school is a bit harder! Both MUS and the very popular Teaching Textbooks are going to set me back financially. Then again, is cost an issue? well, Yes! for me right now it really is! and the frustrating thing is that even the books that are used for math in Australian High Schools don't come close to the figures of Homeschooling Material. I like the format of MUS, I like having the teacher available on DVD!! My kids aren't overly keen on the man that presents the teaching and I must admit he reminds me of a teacher that I didn't like much in High School, but all said and done........it works! But, Yes! that word again...........I need to be wise with my finances (see my post below!!) so right now I am looking at another new kid on the block, Life Of Fred. Wow! the price is very appealing! and I have read the sample pages and they sound great! but I wonder if it will be enough explanation for my children? Will they miss their online teacher? Does Life Of Fred come with an online teacher? All these questions and more!!
Anyone using Life Of Fred? Shall I or not? Then again will it be no math for another term or take a risk? decisions, decisions, decisions..............