Time just flies. It seemed like only yesterday when Miss 16 was sitting on my knees desperatly trying to read the early reading lesson from a major curriculum supplier. She struggled so much to learn and it was a constant source of worry for me. It took her almost three years before she could read well enough to complete lessons on her own. I didn't hold much faith for her future , academicaly speaking.
Today I sit here typing and see a totally different picture. Miss 16 is a gifted musician who plays guitar with the worship team at church. (The picture is one that she posted herself! her nickname is "Rat" and this is apparently her playing guitar!.........she has a great sense of humour)She is a second Dan Black belt in Tae Kwon Do and teaches on a casual basis at the academy. And shortly she will begin her TAFE course, Cert 111 in Fitness! She is working towards becoming a qualified senior Tae Kwon Do instructor. Her future looks bright and I only wish I knew then what I know now. How many hours I wasted worrying about her future. The most imporant lessons for Miss R were not the hours of accademic work that I forced upon her. Her turning point came after I read "I saw the Angel in the Marble" by Chris and Ellyn Davis. It was only then that I started to see the gifts that God had placed in my daughter and not to focus on the academic gifts that she didn't have. Taking private music lessons and begining Tae Kwon Do at the "old" age of 13 was the best decision we ever made! I have seen so many young children who were forced into music lessons and sport lessons, only to grow tired and drop out after a year or two. For us, the older starting age was appropriate as they had the maturity to handle the physical aspects as well as being receptive to the discipline needed to improve.
So shortly I will have one less child in our little homeschool. It is happy yet sad at the same time. I just hope that I can remember this lesson when I have my moments of doubt with the younger children.