We have had a beautiful pet rabbit for the past three years. His name was Flopsy Rabbity!! We handled him a lot in his first few weeks and he became quite a friendly young rabbit! After he grew a bit bigger we started letting him out of his cage for days at a time. He ate a lot of our plants but for the most part he really enjoyed living an uncaged existance! It was lovely to watch him jumping around on the back lawn or lazing in the sun. When we had barbques he would nuzzle down next to my feet, under the chair! he was such a friendly guy that I often wondered if he thought he was a cat!! He adored baby Joel and would follow him around as he crawled on the back lawn. A few times Joel would pull his ears or fur but never once did Flopsy bite or try to hurt him.
You can imagine our sadness when on Friday evening I saw him lying still in his cage. I knew immediately that he wasn't asleep and when I touched him it was confirmed...........our Flopsy was dead. We don't know why, he was alive and well one day and dead the next. Steve thinks he may have been bitten by a redback or something. I don't know! The older children know but I haven't had the courage to tell the younger children yet. They think he is just in the garden somewhere, running around. I am thinking of telling them that he has run away. I just don't know how they will handle the news that he is gone. Strange how one can grow so fond of a rabbit isn't it?